Pages

Welcome to my blog. I hope that you enjoy it. My goal is to keep everyone posted as to my sewing and things that will be sold in my store at http://www.idahoatheart.etsy.com/.
I'll also blog about other things that interest me like my family, cooking (sharing receipes), things I learn along the way, etc. Hope you all enjoy.

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Wilton Cake Decorating Class

I have always wanted to learn how to decorate cakes.  I see women decorating their own cakes that look like the ones you could buy at the store and I've always wanted to know how.  Joann's has a class but it tends to be on Sunday's so I started looking around.  Hobby Lobby right here where I live also offers the classes.  However, every time I look into it they have already started or something else is going on.

We got back from our vacation and I told myself that I would check on them.  Lo and behold they had one starting up this week.  So I signed up and a friend of mine signed up as well.

First we had to make sugar cookies to take to class and I wasn't sure if they were supposed to be big cookies or normal cookies.  A lady at the store told me that when she took her class she made her cookies bigger so that is what I did.  When we got home I made cookies with Sarah using our cereal bowls to make larger cookies.

When I got to the store for the class mine where huge compared to the others.  It was ok though I just had more space on my cookies to decorate.

It was so much fun.  I learned new things about how to cook better cakes and how to make icing.  I learned about the different thicknesses and what they are used for.  Then we used the icing bags and tips that we got and started making stars and practicing.  It was so much fun.  Here are my 5 cookies.  One I gave to a lady at the store.

 For some reason my frosting wouldn't stick to my cookies out of the pouch.  I had to spread some over my cookie first.  I'm not sure but I think it was the sour cream in the cookies.  This was actually the last cookie I did.  I over estimated the letters.
 If you can't tell this is when I had to refill my bag and I decided to go to green instead of white.
 This was the first cookie.  I was just playing with the stars and then decided that I was running out of time so I moved on to other cookies.
He's smiling at you!

I had so much fun.  I have to bring a cake next week and we are going to work on icing and decorating.  I am so excited.  I'll keep you posted of my practicing and projects.  I'm planning on making a cake for my husband's birthday coming up so I'll let you know what I decide to do.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...