Pages

Welcome to my blog. I hope that you enjoy it. My goal is to keep everyone posted as to my sewing and things that will be sold in my store at http://www.idahoatheart.etsy.com/.
I'll also blog about other things that interest me like my family, cooking (sharing receipes), things I learn along the way, etc. Hope you all enjoy.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Wednesday Recipe - Easy Tortellini Toss +

I am sending out a request.  I need some new recipes to try but also to share with all my readers.  If you have a recipe that you would like to share please let me know.  I didn't try a new recipe this week.  I made zucchini bread though and it was yummy.  The recipe I am sharing today I actually got from a friend here in Oklahoma. 

Easy Tortellini Toss
3 Tbsp butter
3 Tbsp flour
1 garlic clove pressed
1 C 2% milk
5 ounces Parmesan cheese, grated
1 8oz slice deli ham 1/2 inch thick chopped into smallish cubes
1/2 tsp pepper
1 bag (16 oz) frozen cheese filled tortellini
1 Can (14.5 oz) chicken broth
1 bag (6 oz) baby spinach leaves

In a small sauce pan you melt the butter and then add the flour.
Once mixed slowly add the milk while whisking. (I have used 1% and 2% milk)
Add garlic, pepper and shredded cheese.
In bigger pot bring chicken broth to a boil.
Add spinach, ham and frozen tortellini.
Cook for 3-5 minutes and then add the cheese mixture.
Cook over medium heat until thickened.
Pour into a cake pan and cook another 5-10 minutes at 350.

I have altered the original recipe slightly.  I have tried with both 1% and 2 % milk and it tasted great.  Originally you would put half the cheese in the mix and then sprinkle the other half over top before cooking in the oven.  I also struggle to get it to thicken on the stove without cooking it for what seems like forever so I cook for about 10 minutes on the stove and then about another 10 minutes in the stove and then it is a little thicker for me.  It might cook differently at different altitudes.  If you try it and find new ways please share.  We really like this recipe.  The leftovers taste good too.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

So Mark made this really good salad using totrillini it had cucumers, tomotoes, pesto, garlic and pine nuts and maybe some mayo. it was soo good I will have to ask Nancy and Ellis to get the reciepe for us. I think you would like it.

Lacie said...

Great thanks Camille. I would appreciate a new recipe to try out.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...