Pages

Welcome to my blog. I hope that you enjoy it. My goal is to keep everyone posted as to my sewing and things that will be sold in my store at http://www.idahoatheart.etsy.com/.
I'll also blog about other things that interest me like my family, cooking (sharing receipes), things I learn along the way, etc. Hope you all enjoy.

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Sign Language

Probably about a year ago now Sarah was still somewhat new to using the toilet.  New to the point that she would still yell out in the store and restaurants when she needed to use the toilet.  I'm sure if your child has ever done that you understand how embarrassing it is.  So I was trying to find a way to get her to stop yelling it.  I decided to try sign language.  I downloaded a few of those baby sign language apps onto my phone.  I learned how to say "toilet" and taught her.  That was the end of our problem.  She no longer yelled out in public places, she would just sign to us.  I had to make sure that my husband understood as well.

I learned a few other signs and taught them to her as well.  Then a few months ago she started making up her own sign language.  She just loves it.  I don't know that much but have always wanted to learn.  In middle school a friend of mine and I bought ASL dictionaries and tried to learn so we could talk to each other.  We mostly spent our time spelling out the words.

I still want to learn sign language and went to Start ASL.  I did it one night while my husband was in Texas and thought that it would be a good thing to study and learn while he is gone.  I learned a few things and then got distracted with life again.

Yesterday during nap time Sarah and I sat down and did her ABC Mouse and then we started working on our sign language together.  I have really enjoyed it.  I think I may have over done it yesterday though.  By the end of the day my mind felt fried.  Not just because of the sign language but because I also was working on my Russian.  Two languages in one day was new to my brain so today I think I'll not push so much.

I'm trying to find out what time "Signing Time" is playing on PBS so we can start watching it together as well.  This is going to be a fun adventure because we are learning together.

If any of you have any advice or other websites that help please let me know.

I hope you all have a great day and that you learn something new today.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...