Pages

Welcome to my blog. I hope that you enjoy it. My goal is to keep everyone posted as to my sewing and things that will be sold in my store at http://www.idahoatheart.etsy.com/.
I'll also blog about other things that interest me like my family, cooking (sharing receipes), things I learn along the way, etc. Hope you all enjoy.

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Loads of stuff to do!

Ok We have less than a day before we catch a plane out of this heat.  We are so excited.  Josh didn't want to go to work...of course...and I have loads of stuff to do.  No, seriously,  I have loads of laundry to do.  We ran of our Tide two days ago.  I thought it would last until we left but it didn't.  So it is time to make our own laundry detergent.

Earlier this year I went to a Relief Society get together where we learned a few things that will help us save money.  One of which was how to make our own laundry detergent.  The lady sharing this information with us had just made some herself and told us if we wanted to take some home and try it we could.  So I did.  I liked it.  It worked just as good as the Tide I usually buy. 

So I got the recipe and started buying the ingredients.  Very simple:

1 Whole bar of soap
1 C washing soda
1/2 C Borax
3gallons/4 C warm water.

1.  Begin by pouring 4 cups of water into medium size pot to boil.
2.  While boiling grate the bar of soap (however much you want to use)
3.  Add grated soap to pot and stir until dissolved fully.
4.  Add 3 gallons of warm/hot water to a 5 gallon bucket.
5.  Add your pot of soapy brew to the 5 gallon bucket.
6.  Add 1 Cup washing soda and stir for 2 minutes with a large long handled strong spoon.
7.  Once dissolved add the 1/2 cup borax and stir for 2-3 minutes until dissolved.
8.  If you are adding fragrance do so now.
9.  Pop the lid on tight and let it sit overnight.

In the morning you will have 3 gallons of gelled glop.
1/2 C per load 1/4 C for the high efficiency machines.

Ok so we did just that.  We didn't add fragrance because I don't know where to buy it yet.  Josh bought a paint mixer that attaches to his drill and used that to mix it with.  We also used the entire bar of Ivory soap that I had bought.

It didn't take long.  This morning we opened it up.  It was like Christmas morning.  We were a little disappointed to see it had separated in our bucks and was still watery.  So we got the paint mixer back out and mixed it again and put the lid on it.  When I opened it up 2 hours later it had gelled.  AWESOME!!!  I was so excited.  This is so cool.  It isn't like we can't afford Tide but if I can make something that works just as good for cheaper then I will.  It should last several months and it cost very little to make.

The washing soda and borax cost like 5 bucks combined and then add a bar of soap and the bucket.  I used a cup of one and half a cup of the other leaving oodles left.  I can make so many bucket fulls of this stuff off that 5 bucks.  A great deal in my book.  I did take a couple pictures but I don't have time today to load them.  I'll do that later.

I have some shopping to do and stuff to drop off and then I need to clean my house, pack and finish a couple of cute dresses for my girls.  Then we are off on vacation.  Have a good week.  I'll try to keep in touch.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...