Pages

Welcome to my blog. I hope that you enjoy it. My goal is to keep everyone posted as to my sewing and things that will be sold in my store at http://www.idahoatheart.etsy.com/.
I'll also blog about other things that interest me like my family, cooking (sharing receipes), things I learn along the way, etc. Hope you all enjoy.

Saturday, October 23, 2010

Learning new things.

I have been sewing on a quilt on and off and I finally got to put the borders on and learned something that will make my life easier in the future.  I thought I'd share what I learned with you.  The instructions for the quilt border was to sew all the border pieces together in one long strip and then measure the two sides and then cut the measurement and sew them on.  Then I was supposed to measure the head and foot of the quilt including the border and cut those measurements and sew them on.

Did I do this?  Well no, I didn't.  Instead I decided rather than cut them to the measurements that I would come up with I would just leave it all connected and sew it to one side and then using my rotary cutter and a ruler I cut off the excess  material and then did the same for the other three sides.  I made sure to iron the seams to be accurate and it worked out amazingly.  I decided to try it this way because I tend to measure one thing and then when I cut the material and sew them together they don't always match.  This way they match perfectly.  It also seemed to cut out an extra step that wasn't so necessary.

It was very fun.  I was very confused when I first read the directions but after trying and altering the instructions a little it worked out very well.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...