Pages

Welcome to my blog. I hope that you enjoy it. My goal is to keep everyone posted as to my sewing and things that will be sold in my store at http://www.idahoatheart.etsy.com/.
I'll also blog about other things that interest me like my family, cooking (sharing receipes), things I learn along the way, etc. Hope you all enjoy.

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Wednesdays Recipe - Sweet Cornbread

I love cornbread.  I grew up with my mom's cornbread in a specific pan and cooked perfectly in that pan.  I, however, do not have that wonderful pan.  She always used Jiffy cornbread mix and I still really like this cornbread but I also have this recipe which I have changed a little over time to help make it more healthy.  I will put the original ingredients down and then tell you how I changed it.  Both recipes are good just one is a bit healthier than the other.

Sweet Cornbread
1/2 C melted butter
1 C sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 C flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 C cornmeal
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 C milk

I use 1/2 cup applesauce and 1/2 cup less sugar as well as only 1/4 c butter and 1 1/4 c milk.

Mix all the ingredients together.  Should be thin like cake batter.
Bake in a 9 x 13 greased pan for 25 mins at 375.
A toothpick or butter knife should come out clean when done.
I would check periodically before the 25 minutes just to make sure it is done.  Sometimes it takes longer to cook.

We really like this cornbread with the Chicken Taco soup that I make.  The cornbread can be eaten plain but we like it with a little butter and honey.  It also goes really well with chili.

ENJOY!!!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...