Welcome to my blog. I hope that you enjoy it. My goal is to keep everyone posted as to my sewing and things that will be sold in my store at http://www.idahoatheart.etsy.com/.
I'll also blog about other things that interest me like my family, cooking (sharing receipes), things I learn along the way, etc. Hope you all enjoy.

Monday, July 16, 2012

The quilt

The Quilt.  Ok so I have been telling you all for a while now that I have been working on a quilt.  I also wasn't able to share pictures with you.  I wish I would have taken more pictures from the beginning.  I'll try to do better in the future.  This quilt was made for my brother and his fiance.  His favorite color is a limish green and hers is pink.  Their wedding colors are going to be.....green and pink.  So I went looking for quilt patterns that I could do just two colors in and have it look good.  This one is called "Picket Fence" and I found it in one of the quilting magazines I buy at random.  If you want to know for sure just ask and I'll figure out which magazine it was.  It was originally 85 X 85 but my husband and I like ours a little bigger so I added an extra row to the width and 2 rows to the length to help get it where we wanted it.
This is the quilt on the quilt frame that my husband built me.  If you have ever tied a quilt this is the same frame.  I don't tie quilts anymore so we didn't have the rack.  We built it and put it to use.  I was doing this on the floor.  Crawling all over and trying to keep all the layers straight and not bunched.  It took a while and a lot of help.  With this I pinned the sheet first.  Side Note: I use actual bed sheets for the backs of my quilts.  I actually buy the pack - you know the fitted sheet, flat sheet and pillow cases.  I give the whole thing as the gift.
Anyway I pinned the sheet on and then unrolled the batting and laid it on top.  My husband helped me because he didn't like that it wasn't straight.  Then I had him help me place the top of the quilt on top and get it all squared away.  Then I pinned it down on top of the other layers.
 Then I started putting the safety pins in.  It worked so much better than when it was on floor.  Everything stayed nice and tight.
 As I pinned I rolled.  It was wonderful.
 Here it is.  I used my new camera for these pictures.  Can you see the difference yet lol.  Ok sit fits perfectly on our bed and it looks really good.  It's hard to see in this picture but the binding is green.

 Our bed has a pillow top thing on it so it is pretty thick.  It hangs down slightly past the bottom of that and I have it pulled clear up onto the pillows.  It should wrap around a bed easily.
 This is the free motion stitch that I did.  It was fun and I think it looks nice.
 Here is the binding.  I chose this stitch for the binding.  It took awhile but it looks nice.
Here is the side view with the border and binding.

I really like this quilt.  It turned out much better than I thought.  I wasn't sure about green and pink but they do look nice together.  It was a fun quilt to make.  The original quilt in the magazine had many colors not just two.

Well have a good Monday.  I am on vacation and I'll try to post every few days but I'm not going to make any guarantees.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...